- I started private drawing lessons when I was 9. I majored in painting at University in 1993 though quickly changed to a major in drawing in the first 6 months. This traditional medium will always have a respected place in my practice, it keeps enticing me to come back. It’s the purist part of me.
- I love being a triplet. It’s had some challenges and my work has expressed these though I wouldn’t have wanted it any other way, it’s pretty amazing.
- I often like to discreetly centre objects, like a glass on a table, pens, a ruler on my desk. One time while out for a drink with my Dad and sister I was trying to place a glass precisely in the centre of a coaster, I confessed to this, then they admitted they did the same thing. I think it’s because I feel out of control when it comes to creativity because it’s so subjective, there is no clear path to a “correct”.
- I love physical work. I’m a framer when I’m not in the studio, I love cutting / joining wood. I also love renovating with my husband, this will include anything from tiling, to installing insulation. I love to get my hands dirty.
- My dad’s dedication to what he does inspires me. He hand crafts the most beautiful wooden toys under “gumpystoyemporium” which he started only 2 years ago. I think it’s great that he has found this passion late in life, we often share our challenges and wins.
Amber’s current solo exhibition ‘Me, You & In Between’ runs until August 12. To see a full exhibition listing click here.